Jun Dynasty



photo taken by me 

This Friday my friend and I decided to have dinner at Jun Dynasty, a Chinese Szechuan restuarant located on Grant Rd. I didn't know what to think of it as first, as I approached the entrance. The name of the restaurant is well light and can be seen driving along Grant, however, its dark tinted windows obstruct your view from the busy dining room inside. I've had a lot of Chinese food over the years so my expectations going in was very high. 

photo taken by me 

As I entered through the door I was confronted by a large dining hall well lit with suspended Chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Typical ornament found in almost all Chinese restaurant. Lanterns are a common motif in most Chinese public spaces and homes, they even have Lantern Festivals in China! I've seen red Chinese lanterns in a lot of China towns around the United States, such as Chinatown in San Francisco and Seattle. In this case, the red lanterns are a symbol for a successful business and a prosperous life. 


photo taken by me
Soon after, our food arrived! we had some soup on a cold night, some jasmine green tea and green beans! Overall, it was delicious. Szechuan style cooking is my favorite. It was definitely the perfect meal to have on a Friday night, after a long week of working on deadlines and assignments. After the meal the waiter handed some fortune cookies, I hate to admit it was definitely tempting to crack one open. So I did. And this is what my fortune said ( yes I know I'm not supposed to show it to anyone or else it won't be fulfilled): 

photo taken by me

My friend and I got up to the paying counter to pay and I noticed the large yellow cat figure as well as the wall hanging right adjacent to it. My friend told me that the cat figure is usually placed in Chinese restaurants as a symbol for good and successful business. in essence a figure for "good luck". The wall hangings also project the same meaning and are generally coupled with smaller wall hangings, and an altar. In this case, there was no altar. 

However, I was surprised that a statue of Buddha wasn't placed in this restaurant, as in previous Chinese restaurants I have been to there was always one on the counter or entrance. Overall it was a great experience. 



photo taken by Rachel Low

Comments

Popular Posts