Fushimi Inari-Taisha




One of my favorite visits on a study abroad was my visit to Fushimi Inari - Taisha is one of Japan's most prominent shrines located in the old city of Kyoto. The shrine is made up of 10,000 lined torii gates at the base of the Inari mountain. In Japanese culture, tori gates are a symbol for the entrance of a sacred space, specifically a Shinto shrine. As you walk along the path of the lined tori gates, I noticed that each gate is engraved with a donor's name to give thanks to Inari, the goddess of rice for fulfilling their blessings. 



There were several smaller shrines located at the base of the mountain path that is used for prayer. However, before entering the shrine and giving a prayer, visitors must purify their hands and mouth at the nearby fountains. Once they have been purified they can move towards the shrine, ring the bell, clap and then make their prayers to the goddesses. This tradition is common in most shrines and also in Buddhist temples. 


While I do not follow the same tradition or culture as those of the Japanese, the spiritual essence of the place was incredible to experience. My visit to the shrine made me more aware of different religions, cultures, and spiritual beliefs. The red gates will forever be engraved in my memory, and I hope that I get the chance to visit more shrines of other Asian cultures in the nearer future. 

Comments

Popular Posts